Happy Monday sweet friends! I hope that you had a wonderful weekend. Today I wanted to share with y'all ten more Bible verses that have brought so much comfort, joy, strength, and peace to me during this single season. I know well the struggle and pain of this journey and I find myself going back to scripture for comfort and hope more and more recently. I hope these verses encourage you as much as they have me!
Know a single friend? Why not pass on these sweet verses to them as an encouragement? Also, if you missed my first post, 10 Encouraging Bible Verses for Single Women you can find it HERE. So here are 10 more encouraging Bible verses...
1. 2 Timothy 4:17 for our deepest unfulfilled longings. Longing, our aching unfulfilled longings for a spouse is one of the hardest things about walking the single journey. Song of Songs 3:2 sums it perfectly when it states, "...I sought him but found him not...". When we struggle with feeling that we were created to be a helpmate and married and long to be married our hearts often feel like they are going to shatter. My longings for a husband is one of the most difficult parts of being single. My heart physically hurts sometimes. I have found such comfort in 2 Timothy 4:17 that says, "But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength..." Every single day the Lord is going to meet us and give us grace and mercy for each day as we trust Him with our deepest longings. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of longing? I have found great comfort in Psalm 84:2 also!)
2. Psalm 20: 4-5 for the ache to be married. As I just mentioned above there is a deep and longing ache to be married that can make our hearts feel broken. As time continues I literally ache to see my dreams of being married come to pass. But the Lord does promise that He will give us the desires of our hearts as we take delight in Him and a daily prayer for me and for my friends who are struggling with the ache to be married is Psalm 20:4-5 which states, "May He give you the desires of your heart and make all of your plans succeed. May we shout for joy... May the Lord grant all of your requests." Let us surrender our aching hearts to the Lord knowing that He is good and that we can trust Him completely. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of aching to be married? I have found great comfort in focusing on who the Lord is and His character, specifically that He is good which can be found in Psalm 100:5 and Psalm 119:68.)
3. Isaiah 43:4 for self-esteem. I was once told that self-esteem means to have "confidence in one's abilities and worth", but sometimes I struggle with self-esteem because I am single. I struggle because of the fact that since no one has "chosen me" I feel that I must not have a lot to offer to another person. Isaiah 43:4 is one of the most beautiful verses to me in this single journey and it states, "Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you..." This precious scripture verse gently reminds me that my self-esteem is rooted in the Lord and HE reminds me who I am... precious, honored, and loved. The Lord deeply loves us and gives us worth- not our relationship status. Cling to this precious verse whenever you are struggling with self-esteem because of being single. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of self-esteem and singleness? Check out Luke 12:7.)
4. Proverbs 28:31 for when you feel unworthy due to past decisions. Proverbs 28:31 states, “Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” As a christian single woman it can be incredibly tempting to torment ourselves with past decisions and mistakes that we have made. But when we take these mistakes before the Lord and ask for forgiveness the Lord is faithful and He forgive us our sins (1 John 1:9). Don't let your past define your future. Rest in the truth that when you have confessed your sin you will be met with mercy. The tender subject of feeling unworthy due to past decisions is an unfortunate and heart-breaking part of many singles experiences. Look to the Lord... grace and mercy await you friends. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of feeling unworthy due to past decisions? A couple of my favorite verses on this subject are I John 1:9, Psalm 51:10, and Psalm 103:12.)
5. 2 Chronicles 20:15 for discouragement. So often in this single journey I find myself feeling discouraged. Sometimes the discouragement comes from circumstances and sometimes it is just with the entire topic of being single. The dictionary defines discouragement as "having lost confidence or enthusiasm or being disheartened" and that is often exactly how I feel. If I am honest, I often find myself more discouraged than hopeful. But the Lord encourages and commands us to not be discouraged (Joshua 1:9) and one of my favorite verses on this topic for the single journey is from 2 Chronicles 20:15 which states, "...This is what the Lord says to you: do not be afraid or discouraged..." The topic of discouragement in the single journey is a tender subject which I wrote a little bit more about HERE in my post, discouragement in the single journey. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of discouragement? One of my favorites is Joshua 1:9.)
Are you a friend looking to encourage a loved one in their single journey and in the times of discouragement but aren't sure how? Check out my post, How to Encourage Your Single Friends that offers 20 practical tips! You can find the post HERE.
6. Romans 8:15 for when we struggle with fear. One of the things that many singles struggle with is fear that they may be alone forever. Romans 8:15 states, "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave to fear..." but sometimes it can feel like we are a slave to fearful thoughts that we will live all of the rest of our days alone. Let us pray that the Lord would deliver and remove our fears and replace it with the truth that we are never alone because the Lord promises us that He will never forsake or abandon us. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of fear? Check out Hebrews 13:15 and Joshua 10:25.)
7. Ephesians 4:26 for the times you feel angry. Sometimes in the single journey it can be tempting to feel nothing but anger at your situation and the fact that you are single and alone. Sometimes it is anger at the situation and other times, if we are honest, some of us feel angry with the Lord that He has allowed us to still be single after we have been praying for years (or decades) for a spouse. But I do think that all of us would agree that we don't want to be angry. Let us pray that the Lord would take away our anger and place it before Him. What an amazing God we serve that is merciful and loving as He listens to our every emotion. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of anger? One of my favorite is Ecclesiastes 7:9.)
8. Deuteronomy 31:6 for the times that you feel forgotten. It is so easy on this single journey to feel forsaken and forgotten. I often find myself crying out with the psalmist, "My God, my God why have you forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning." (Psalm 22:1) As my grief threatens to overwhelm me I feel that the Lord has forsaken me (Isaiah 49:14) but then the Lord quietly and gently meets me and lovingly answers, "I have chosen you and have not rejected you." (Isaiah 41:9) No matter our feelings the Lord has NOT forgotten or forsaken us. He has not abandoned or forgotten us. He promises that he will never do so (Deuteronomy 31:6) (Looking for additional scripture verses on the topic of feeling forgotten in this journey? Luke 12:6-7 has been challenging and encouraging for this area for me!)
9. Romans 12:15 for when everyone you know is getting engaged. There seems to be certain seasons where social media is flooded with news that people are getting engaged. Sometimes it can seem absolutely overwhelming and heart-breaking to hear "one more engagement story". I often feel like Hannah, from the book of I Samuel, as it seems that those who have joyous news become my "rivals" as they gain what I so deeply long for. But just like Hannah we can come to the Lord and lay out all of our pain and anguish. (I Samuel 1:10) As I lay out my heart before the Lord and know and trust that His timing for my life is best, then I am free to rejoice with those who rejoice, because on the deepest level I know that my rejoicing is really rejoicing in the Lord's beautiful timing for each of our stories and journeys. (Looking for additional scripture verses on the tender topic of handling engagement news? Proverbs 10:28 and Proverbs 31:25 have been both tender reminders of God's perfect timing and joy in trusting that!)
10. Nehemiah 8:10 for the Grief Over the Way I Envisioned Life to Be Like. Nehemiah 8:10 states, "This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve for the joy of the Lord is your strength." As I examine my life and think about an upcoming birthday, I often have been struggling with tears as my life, at my age is completely different than I could have ever imagined or envisioned. I long and ache for a love story that honors the Lord, and instead find myself approaching another birthday still single. Just even writing that sentence brings tears to my eyes. And so when the grief is so great and my heart aches for the way that I envisioned life to be, I will remember that the Lord has not forgotten or abandoned me. When I feel like weeping at what the reality of life is like versus what I envisioned, I will cling to the truth that the day before me is holy and the Lord is my strength.
This topic of grief over the way that we envision life to be is a sensitive topic to my heart and it is one reason why I felt burdened to write September Caravan which will be releasing in on September 1st. If you struggle with this topic, I pray that my upcoming book will be an encouragement to you. You can read more about the book HERE and connect more with the September Caravan Instagram Community HERE.
I hope that these verses are an encouragement to you today friends! Praying for each of you who are longing and aching to be married today.