After arriving at the beautiful island of Coco Cay on the second day on our Majesty of the Seas Cruise in November, my parents and I joined the group on Royal Caribbean cruise that had signed up for the Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Getaway Excursion.
The last time that I was at Coco Cay (in 2014) I did not do an excursion on the island, but my parents and I had talked at length and we all felt that it would be fun to do something for a couple of hours and then spend the rest of the day enjoying the beauty and relaxation of Coco Cay.
After researching through all of the excursion options we ended up choosing the Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Getaway Excursion and it turned out to be one of our favorite parts of our cruise! I seriously can't recommend this excursion enough!
For this excursion (unlike the Seahorse Sailing and Snorkeling Excursion where we met our group on the boat) we met our group on the island itself. Our meeting place was extremely easy to find and we were able to sit and enjoy looking at the views while we waited for our excursion time slot.
It didn't take long for our group to gather and then we walked over to where our boat for our excursion was waiting for us. Our group was small (there were probably about 15 of us) and immediately we could tell that we were going to have a great time.
Our tour took us on the opposite side of the island (from where we disembarked and could see the ship) and it was gorgeous to see the different parts of Coco Cay. The day was simply beautiful and the ride was lovely. When we reached our destination the winds had come up so the tour guides made the safe decision in deciding that we would try a different island (Norwegian Cruise Line's Island- about 15 minutes away) to do our snorkeling at.
It was so fun to see more of the surrounding area and when we got to the spot we were able to go in and enjoy the excursion fully! One really neat thing was that we were able to enjoy the spot fully- and it felt like we were completely alone as there were no other boats or people around.
It was absolutely beautiful! The fish were so colorful and we were able to see some amazing things below the surface including Stingray's (and some sharks from a distance!). After we had a wonderful time snorkeling the tour guides took us to a shallower area of water where we relaxed and floated for a bit. The whole experience was absolutely amazing.
Here are a couple of tips and thoughts about the Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Getaway Port Excursion if you are interested in choosing this on your Royal Caribbean Cruise:
1. This excursion is really wonderful- especially if you are looking for something to "break up" the day on the island a bit. The excursion takes about 2 1/2 hours which still gives you plenty of time to relax and enjoy time on the beach.
2. Our tour guides on this excursion were fantastic. They were in the water with us, sharing about all of the different wildlife, and were incredibly helpful. I was really impressed with them and they truly were a huge reason that we loved this excursion.
3. The cost of this port excursion is $54 for those who are 10 years old and up. For those who are 3 to 9 years old the cost is $44 and for those who are infants through 2 years old the cost is free. This was one of the moderate priced excursions for this port and we felt that for the time that the excursion lasted (about 2 and 1/2 hours) the price was extremely fair.
4. All snorkel gear is provided although you are welcome to bring your own if you would prefer.
5. On this excursion the tour company offered an underwater camera for $20 that you could purchase (and then keep the chip card afterwards). This was on a first come-first serve basis and you had to pay with cash, but it was a great idea if you don't have an underwater camera. (For these pictures underwater I used my underwater camera which is a Nikon COOLPIX S33 Waterproof Digital Camera.)
6. I was a bit hesitant to do two snorkeling adventures in the same cruise (especially on consecutive days) simply because I didn't know if it would be boring. Honestly this was not the case at all. Both excursions (this one and the Seahorse Sailing and Snorkeling Excursion in Nassau) were completely different and unique in their own ways. If you love to be in the water than both of these excursions are unique and you would enjoy both of them as much as we did!
I hope you enjoyed reading this review of the Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Getaway Port Excursion. It was such a delightful day that I want to go back and do it all over again! Please let me know if you have any questions!